What to know about the death of a Palestinian prisoner at the hands of Israeli forces

Israel announced Tuesday that the death this week of a prisoner in the West Bank’s Tulkarem prison has been ruled a homicide, and the bodies of two other prisoners have been returned.

The official Palestinian news agency WAFA said that the Israeli forces detained Abd al-Wahid Mahmoud al-Qadiri, 35, on Sunday in the occupied West Bank city of Hebron after he threw rocks at a security checkpoint.

Al-Qaddiri, who had been in detention since March 23, died on Tuesday, WAFA reported.WAFA said the Israeli authorities would investigate the case.

An Israeli police spokeswoman said Tuesday that Palestinian security forces “responded to the prisoner’s request” for help after he allegedly tried to throw stones at an Israeli military vehicle, causing the vehicle to ram the vehicle.

She said that during the incident, al-qaddiri’s son and another man who were also arrested were also detained and were later released.

Israel said in a statement that the soldiers involved in the incident have been detained.

“We condemn this violent act against our soldiers, the soldiers of the state, and in this regard we ask the Israeli government to release all the prisoners of conscience,” the statement said.

The death of al- Qaddiri came a day after Israeli forces raided the West Quds Prison compound in the Palestinian territory’s northern Jordan Valley, searching for a Palestinian accused of attacking Israelis in the past.

Al-Qassim, a security guard who is the nephew of Hamas leader Khaled Qassim and the son of another Palestinian, was taken into custody after an incident in which the Israeli army said it shot him and wounded him.

He was shot in the back as he was attempting to flee a house attack by the man he was trying to stop.

Israel has denied the accusation and said the incident was a false accusation by the Palestinian Authority.

The Palestinian news site Al Quds Al Manar reported that a Palestinian doctor at the Quds Health facility said the prisoner, who has been under medical care for three years, died after he was shot by an Israeli soldier, according to the agency.

Al Qassem, the Palestinian health official, said that while his nephew was being taken to hospital, he was injured by an IDF sniper who mistook him for an enemy.

The Israeli forces have been involved in a string of attacks on Palestinians in recent months, killing more than 50 Palestinians in the course of a wave of violence that began in September.

In October, Israeli forces fired on a Palestinian family in the town of Nabi Saleh near the Israeli-occupied West Bank town of Bethlehem, killing four and wounding another.

In November, Israeli troops stormed the compound of the al-Aqsa Mosque compound in Jerusalem, killing three worshipers and wounding seven others, and also fired on and killed a man in the compound.

In December, a Palestinian assailant wounded a soldier outside a checkpoint in the village of Duma, in the southern West Bank, and then fled on foot.

In January, an Israeli police officer was shot and killed in the central West Bank village of Beit Sahour.